This is the first in a series of monthly updates to keep our supporters informed of the latest BDRUK news and events.
Dog of the Month
Our dog of the month is Sam who is currently in foster in Brighton. He is a playful, loving dog who is desperate for a forever home.
Dogs we have helped
2017 has got off to a busy start for BDRUK and thanks to the generosity of our supporters we have been able to assist the following dogs:
- Memphis has been transported to the UK and is our first forever foster on the new sponsorship scheme (see below for full details).
- Edgar, an old dog in Serbia was sponsored to ensure he is in a safe place. He is now awaiting transport to a foster in the UK and we are fundraising to pay his final month's boarding costs and his transport to the meeting point for the UK transport- if you donate £5 or more to help him travel we will send you a BDRUK calendar.
- Nora was taken from a public kill shelter in Serbia. She only has one eye and was struggling to survive in the shelter. BDRUK are now covering the costs for her to stay in private boarding kennels while she awaits adoption.
- We have helped Charlie, a new puppy that has come in, by covering his vet costs and preparation for travel. Hopefully he will find a home very soon.
- Martin is little red dog who is blind and currently in a spanish kill shelter. Thanks to BDRUK he is being released and will come to us when he is well.
- Felix is getting out of the public shelter in Romania and is getting ready to come to us as a foster in April [edit: sadly, after this blog post was published Felix passed away]
- We sponsored Nelson for his last month in foster in Bosnia before his travel to Germany
- Blue, a beautiful blind collie in the UK has been moved to an experience foster in Scotland
- BDRUK have sent funds to treat a one eyed dog in Hungary found injured in a public shelter
- We have covered all the costs for Nan, who has been living in a shelter in Spain since she was surrendered there as a 4 month old puppy in 2007. She travels to the UK in April and has had adoption enquiries already.
- We are sponsoring Quinn and Elsie to ensure they are safe in Romania
- Anna has had her foster costs paid by BDRUK.
- We sent sponsorship of 100 Euros for Reuben's diabetes treatment and food
- Phoebe, a new blind dog in Romania has had her passport costs paid by BDRUK
- We have continued to support our UK foster dogs, covering veterinary treatment for Sidney and food and wormer for Sam.
Dogs that have been adopted
We are delighted that the following dogs have found their forever homes:
Siz, one of our recently adopted dogs, needed to undergo surgery for a Mast Cell Tumour. We launched an appeal on our website and on social media and thanks to the generosity of our supporters we raised £550. A big thank you to everyone who donated, we are pleased to share that Siz is recovering well from his surgery.
BDRUK had a stand at Crufts again this year and we had a fantastic time meeting supporters. Nym, Pedro and Josh stole the hearts of many visitors and are fantastic BDRUK ambassadors. We raised almost £3000 in donations which will allow us to help many dogs in need. Many thanks to all our volunteers who helped on the stand.
Sponsorship scheme and foreign fosters
This month we launched our new sponsor scheme to support dogs in UK Foster. From as little as £5 a month you can sponsor a dog and in return you will receive a sponsor pack, photos of your dog and quarterly updates.
For £15 a month you could sponsor a 'forever foster', a dog who due to illness or other circumstances will stay with their foster family forever. Memphis is our first forever foster, he was found in a terrible state in a shelter in Bosnia and transported to the UK where he is settling in to his forever foster home. With veterinary treatment, food and love from his new family he is improving day by day. As a forever foster sponsor you receive the standard foster pack but your dog will also send you personalised cards at Christmas, Valentine's and for your birthday.
BDRUK is there to help when rescuers find dogs in terrible situations either on the streets or in awful public shelters; we cover the cost of private fosters to get these dogs into a safe place and any treatment they need. To help support our dogs in foster overseas we have set up a Foreign Foster scheme where you can donate any amount on a regular basis to help keep our foster dogs in a safe place.
BDRUK is always looking for volunteers to help us promote the charity and the dogs we have for adoption and sponsor. For more information please see our volunteer page.
We have some lovely new badges available. They are just £2.50 plus 75p for postage and all proceeds go to helping blind and partially sighted dogs. To order, click here and make sure to enter your address in the special instructions.
One of our supporters has organised a charity dog walk in aid of BDRUK. It is on Sunday 23rd of April in Blackburn. For more information please see the event page here https://goo.gl/ppJwCc